Delivery #1: Kidney Stone.

stoneHere is my pride and joy… my lovely [stone] baby.

I apologize for the poor picture quality.  For some reason my camera would not cooperate this evening… but maybe thats for the best.  Who really wants to see what a kidney stone looks like, anyway?

Here’s the story of how little kidney stone came to be:

Yesterday morning, I woke up as I normally do… except I had a noticeable pain on the left side of my lower back.  I didn’t think much of it, other than maybe I slept funny.  When the pain didn’t subside and I realized the pain was inside rather than sensitive to the touch… I knew it.

I knew I had another kidney stone on my hands.

From about 7:30 – 11:30am, I dealt with it at our house.  When my sweet, sweet hubs saw me in such terrible pain he finally took charge and called the on-call nurse to get the ball rolling on my diagnosis.  It was decided that I needed to go to the urgent care center to verify that I was only dealing with a kidney stone and that baby was okay… so away we went.

It was the most horrible car ride I have been on in awhile… I thought we would never get to the clinic.  We arrived in no time at all and after a urine test, the doctor informed us that I was most likely dealing with a kidney stone.  He verified this by tapping my back, feeling my stomach, asking questions, etc.  He even had a OB nurse come in and make sure baby was okay.  The doctor prescribed hydrocodone, reassuring me that it would not hurt the baby and that it was safe to take for my pain.  He also provided me with a nice straining system in order to collect the kidney stone, once I had passed it.  The doctor request that I bring in the stone so that they could try to determine why I get kidney stones and help me in the future (which is why I have the stone, not because I chose to keep it as a souvenir for myself).

After we left the hospital, I was starting to feel a little better.  Don’t get me wrong – the pain was still there, but not as intense as it had been.  I was able to rest once we got home and ended up not taking any pain meds at all.  The hubs and I went to bed about 8:30 or so… still in pain, no kidney stone in sight.  I woke up several times to go to the bathroom, which was pretty involved thanks to my straining kit… and ended up passing the stone at 12:47am.  A sample for the doctor… and no more pain!

I have actually had 3 prior experiences with kidney stones… but being pregnant WHILE passing a kidney stone – that’s a first.  One of the doctor’s parting pieces of wisdom was the following:

“Now you get the joy of comparing the pain of kidney stones to labor – and decide which one is worse.”



2 thoughts on “Delivery #1: Kidney Stone.

  1. Ohh! That sounds so awful! I wouldn’t bother comparing which one is worse, I would focus on which one is more rewarding- and if you can do your kidney stone (3x even!) with no pain meds I think you’re going to be a trooper when it comes time for labor- and have your sweet lil’ love : ).

Wanna say something?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s